6 Guidelines to Help You with Your Furniture Makeover

6 Guidelines to Help You with Your Furniture Makeover

Jan 25, 2022Abhishek Gupta

The inside of your home is just as important as the outside. Some would even argue the greater significance of the indoors, and rightfully so. The indoors can provide better insight about the kind of people who live in a home, and what's more telling of a home and its occupants' personality than its furniture?

Guidelines for Home and Furniture Design

The furniture inside your home can be used not only for their set functions, but also as a way to express yourself. Great furniture design communicates something unique about you and your family and meshes well for a cohesive look and well-functioning home. If you're looking to improve your furniture's overall appearance and flow, we've provided some suggestions that will help your home improvement project.

1. Know What You Already Have

It may seem obvious, but the first step in any home improvement project is to know what you already have. Taking an inventory of all the furniture in your home will give you an idea of what you need to buy, the costs involved, and the styles you're working with.

2. Know What You Already Like

Knowing what you like is more important than knowing what other people want. This is your home and nobody else's, so don't try to fit someone else's preferences into your home or room. Instead, buy pieces that resonate with you to express who you are and what you care about.

3. Follow a Simple Color Palette

If you look through home design magazines, websites, and apps, you'll find an almost endless amount of color combinations that you can use to decorate your home. There's no shortage of options, which is why it's essential to keep it simple and do the basics right. A simple color palette that you can easily slide your furniture into is the key to a cohesive and unified look between different pieces.

4. Pay Attention to Shapes

Like color, shape is one of the most important factors in furniture design. There are thousands of different shapes that you can use to decorate your home, and like color, the number of choices can be overwhelming. When the furnishings in your home are all rectangles and squares, your room will look cramped and uninviting. If you incorporate some curves and other shapes into your room, you will instantly open up and add some dimension.

5. Add Accents

A great way to add interest to the interior of your home without taking away from the other furnishings is to add a few accent pieces. A well-placed accent piece can help you elevate the mood of a room while providing focal points that draw the eyes.

6. Practice the 80/20 rule

The 80/20 rule is a great guiding principle to help you out of a design rut. The rule is simple: 80 percent of the furniture should follow the same style, period, or design philosophy to allow you to deviate from the rest of the 20 percent.

Express Yourself Through Your Home

While no set rule can guarantee you absolute success with mixing and matching furniture, some guiding principles will help you get rid of the clutter, choose the right furnishings, and create the "wow" factor you're looking for. Don't be afraid to mix and match unique furniture styles to make your home design project a success!

Give your home the makeover you’ve always wanted. With the help of Accents@Home, a home that could better reflect your personality is within your reach. If you’re looking for carpet area rugs in Vancouver, BC, shop from our store today!

More articles